Ikat?

2:24:00 AM

So, lately I've been noticing that Ikat is becoming a very popular pattern for home decor. When I was first introduced to it, I thought it looked too Western. Now, with the more contemporary colors and designs like this one, I think I'm warming up to it.


I took a textiles class a few years ago and learned how Ikat is made. I think it is pretty interesting, so I thought I would share.
There are many different ways to make a "design" on a fabric. You can paint or print onto the finished fabric piece, or you can dye the yarn and weave to make a design (this results in a type of plaid). Ikat is kind of a combination of both. The yarns are painted or dyed, in a pattern, so that when the yarns are woven together, it creates a kind of blending effect in the design.
I found this pillow on a website called Sheherazade. I do believe that if I were to have Ikat in my home, this would be my favorite piece. The colors are beautiful and bright and the design is more contemporary and whimsical.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest