Special Ornaments

8:59:00 PM


Every Christmas that I can remember, I've received an ornament from my parents. I also usually receive one or two from a grandparent or aunt also. We always got to open our ornament presents on Christmas Eve so we could put them on the tree for Christmas morning. It has been a treasured tradition and memory for each of us.

In our family ornaments are very special keepsakes. Each of my siblings has a special ornament box filled with our little treasures. Every Christmas, we pull out our boxes, and together reminisce about previous Christmases. One by one we unwrap our ornaments and mention how beautiful each is. We loved to show our ornaments to all our friends. When Rob and I were engaged, I went through the whole box with him.

I've probably bored many friends to tears with this ritual, so I won't show you all of them, just some of my favorites.


This has been my favorite one since I got it. I'm pretty sure I made all my sisters jealous that Christmas. It's so exquisite.


This is another favorite. I probably got it 4 or 5 years ago. Of course I love fairies, and this is made so beautifully.


I got this from one of my great-grandmothers when I was very young. My sister got a banjo that matches. One of the lute strings is broken, but I still love it!


My mom gave us this a few years ago when we were engaged (We got married right after Christmas). I love it! and it makes me happy to think of that special Christmas.

So yesterday, I asked Robert what type of ornament he wants this Christmas. He acted suprised, "I'm getting an ornament?" Yes. The tradition will continue.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Rachel, what a great description of years worth of memories. We just went through that little ritual last night. II love to hear the kids and they do treat their ornaments like little treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea!!! So beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the first picture, is Jack on a couch sitting behind the tree, or is there an ornament with Jack's face on it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I love the pic of Jack under the tree! ;) What a special gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! And those ornaments look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your family tradition...I might have to use it :o)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest