The Wrap

8:36:00 PM

I haven't been sewing at all lately, but I just remembered that I did another Anthropologized shirt back when I couldn't go a day without sewing (Okay, it wasn't that long ago).

So, I bought an aqua linen wrap at DI a while back. Then, when I was experimenting with bleach, I accidently got some on it. So, I decided to cut out some linen flowers and sew them onto the shirt to cover up the bleach. It was a very easy fix, and I like how it turned out.


If you want to sew flowers onto your shirt, here are some tips:

  • If you're using a woven fabric for the flowers, try to cut the flowers with most edges on the bias (diagonally). When fabric is cut on the bias, it doesn't fray. Also, you may want to use clear nail polish on the straight grain edges.
  • If you're using a knitted fabric for the flowers, you don't need to worry about fraying edges at all...but you may want to watch out for rolling edges. Try to sew them down.
  • You don't need to sew all around the flower. You can criss-cross and curve your stitching and leave some sides of petals loose. This will give more texture to the flowers. Just remember to wash on gentle and don't dry.
  • If sewing flowers onto a knitted shirt, fuse some interfacing (knit weft insertion) on the underside of the shirt where the flowers will be. Don't interface the whole front- just peices where the flowers will be. This will stabilize the shirt so the flowers are easier to sew on and the shirt doesn't ripple.

Good luck!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I wondered if you had made that yourself when you were wearing it the other day. So cute! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LIKE IT SO MUCH THAT I'M WONDERING IF YOU KNOW HOW I COULD RE-DO A PLAIN BUTTON FRONT BLOUSE INTO A WRAP BLOUSE?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest