a new mix of neutrals

1:22:00 PM


(left to right: Catalina bolero- Anthropologie $118.00, Ultra fine turtleneck
sweater
- Gap
$34.50, Monro wool pant- J. Crew $168.00, Cashmere muffler-
Nordstrom $78.00, Wool blend
textured sheath dress- Banana Republic
$152.00, DKNY Tweed pencil skirt- Macy's $99.00
)
Have you noticed that grey is popping up all over the place? Well, it seems to be the new neutral.

I remember when I went back to New York City for the fashion tour- we went to CAUS and they gave us previews of upcoming seasons and the colors predicted for them. I remember looking at the palette of colors for women 2009-2010 and thinking, "There is no brown!"

Nope, there was none of that rich dark chocolate brown which happened to be my favorite color at the time. I asked about it and was told that brown was on its way out and greys were moving in as the star neutral.

Well, here we are, a year and a half later and there's about 10 times more grey being sold in the stores than brown. But that doesn't mean you can't wear the classic brown you've been sporting for the past few years. Just mix it. "Mix brown and grey?" You may say. "Yes," is my response. Here's how:

1. Use color! Bold and bright color will give the eye something to focus on, leaving the brown and grey as the background neutrals.




2. Try using more contrast: light grey with dark brown and dark grey with light brown.


3. Spread the "accent" neutral around. For example, if you're wearing brown pants, accent it with a grey belt AND hat or scarf or hairpiece or shoes. If you've got two of something, it will unify the look instead of seeming accidental.


Here's another one just for fun:


Just a note: Lest you think I really shop at all these places, most of these items are just things I would dream about. sigh... I do window shop at these places. If you know me, you know I don't actually dress this stylishly.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. i'm always behind on new styles and color combinations... i never like them till they've been around almost long enough to be retired, and then i start wearing them... ha ha. i love your combinations though! maybe i won't be to far behind this year... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love it if you came and put all of my clothes into outfits so I would just know what to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that brown is out! Thanks for the heads up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest