vintage winter baby coat

9:56:00 PM


Well, it's been two weeks from since I began this coat, and while a week later than I planned, I finished Jack's coat just in time for the snow. I was going for a vintage 1940's and 1950's look, so after close inspection of a picture I found, I altered my pattern to fit the requirements. I moved the pockets close to the side seam and made them horizontal instead of vertical and I put all the buttons close together to give the illusion that the coat is longer.


I'm pleased with how it turned out, I'm also happy that I didn't spend half the time picking out stitches (as I usually do). I must be improving!


I was very lucky to squeeze the pattern pieces onto an old wool shirt that my mom accidentally shrank and gave to me. Total cost- $6. So, you know... I saved $200 right?


(Jack couldn't keep still, but here's a better front view of the coat.)
Photobucket

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I LOVE it! It is SO great. Fabulous job, and how perfect to come from an old flannel shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, that is impressive! I am always amazed at the things you can make. And Jack is a cutie! AND, I never commented on your Halloween costumes- wow-sers! those were great costumes! I hope you won the halloween costume contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed!!! I wish I had an ounce of your talent. So glad that you are one of my sisters....so I can learn from you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute!! You really did save a bunch of money, if you bought that at GAP or even Old Navy you'd be spending a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable! i love it. good work on less stitch removal! you'd be ashamed if you saw my jean blankets... cause i didn't pull out a single stitch, though MANY should've been!
    way to use your mom's old shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously.... that looks so good!! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, you are SO talented! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love it. You are so amazing. Jack is so cute but now he's even more adorable in that coat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little Jack's coat is amazing. Can you stop making me feel so bad? J/K. You've always have been talented, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest