Emergency Birthing Kit

2:56:00 PM

I run the risk of you knowing how weird I can be for posting this, I know. But with all the natural disasters happening around the world, and with me growing up being told that an earthquake could happen anytime in Utah, I got to thinking... Wouldn't it be the worst if there had just been a huge earthquake and all the sudden, you went into labor? Or if you were on your way to the hospital and the baby just decided it was time? I know. I'm dramatic and over-analyzing (a thing I do often).

But really... What if it did happen? I wouldn't have known what do to, but yesterday, I spent a good part of my day putting this together:


I hope I never have to use it, but I'll be ready if anything happens. It was interesting to learn about how natural and actually pretty simple it can be to deliver a baby (if there are no complications, of course).

I got the step by step instructions here. In everything I read it says "DON'T CUT THE UMBILICAL CORD." But what do you do if you're in the middle of a natural disaster? Apparently, the cord can separate itself from the baby eventually. They only time they ever say anything about cutting it is if it's impeding birth, so for the 1 in a million chance that you would have a baby in an emergency situation, there's another 1 in a million chance you would need to cut the cord.

I could add a more absorbent underpad, mama diapers and maybe another towel, but this kit would do the job.

Photobucket

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Hey, you never know! I was born in a car due to traffic and I just could not wait to get out. I am so grateful that my mom knew what to do! They carried me and the placenta all the way to the hospital (gross, I know!)Good luck with Baby #2 Rachel! Your kids are so lucky to have such an awesome mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just watch, now you are going to need to just because you are prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It's way better to be over prepared, and I know someone that was born in a car too, so apparently it's not as rare as we think! Congratulations on baby!! I can't wait to find out what you're having!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest