Gardening

3:07:00 PM

I've actually been reading a book. I feel guilty that reading a book has become such an accomplishment for me, but often times, I would rather sew or craft or play. Back when I was in my early teens and I had time on my hands, I read ALL THE TIME. Now, it's a little more touch and go.

Anyway, I've been reading a gardening book called The Old Farmer's Almanac Book of Garden Wisdom. It has so many awesome tips and fun facts. It really motivates me. Last year in my first attempt to garden (all by myself), I made tons of mistakes. I feel like I have more confidence to try harder and smarter this year.

There is something so charming to me about gardening: being outside, connecting with nature, taking a break from busy life. I feel a sense of peace and accomplishment after I've dead-headed a rose bush or when I bring in a bucket-full of strawberries for pancakes.

I wanted to share just a few of the cool things I've learned from this book so far:

  • Earthworms are our friends. They do amazing things like poop out nutrients for our plants. They also aerate our gardens by building tunnels.
  • If you plant chives around the base of your fruit trees, they help protect against aphids.
  • Although dead-heading is good for your plants, some plants are great self-seeders (like poppies), so leave one or two flowers alone towards the end of the summer.
  • Quince is a hearty fruit that tastes like a combination of an apple and a pear after it's been cooked. Quince can last for months (that's right, months) if it is not bruised. That's what I call great food storage!
  • When you are ready to transplant your seedlings (I always have trouble with this), take them outside for a week during the day first to sort of harden up. Transplant on a cloudy, humid day. Shield them from direct sunlight for a few days after the transplanting.
Okay, I guess that wasn't a few, but seriously, this book has too many awesome things to choose from.

I've started a folder saving all the tips and tricks, interesting flowers I want, landscape designs and new things I want to try when I actually get my own yard. I told Rob that I don't care much about the house we buy as long as it has a dishwasher and yard.

Photobucket

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thanks for the tips Rach. Sounds like you're having some more fun.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest