vintage ice cream apron idea

2:47:00 PM

Hello Friends,

I have been meaning to post this for a while yet as my costume challenge was made over a week ago. My friend Mandy asked for ideas for ice cream apons. Her sister is turning 16 and at the bash, the sisters are serving ice cream.

Every time I think of ice cream and teenagers, I can't help but think of the 1940's. It seems ice cream parlors were the biggest thing then for the "teeny-boppers." Dancing and ice cream- I think that sounds like a pretty awesome thing to do on a Saturday night.


Well, in the '40s, it was usually a handsome man behind the counter serving banana splits, so I couldn't go there for too much inspiration on aprons. Yet, I couldn't stray too far from the "40s, so I found this great pattern:

McCalls M5825 (I also love the double layered skirt apron.)

For a more difficult but also more awesome look, this pattern would be great:


For a color scheme, I thought of a really old Eddie Cantor movie called "Kid Millions." The last scene is in color and it's all about ice cream.

They have all these pretty girls dressed in coordinating colors making ice cream. They wear pink for strawberry ice cream, yellow for vanilla, brown for chocolate and green for mint (I added that one). The whole ice cream building is a nice bright sky blue. I though aprons in the pink, yellow, brown and/or green would be super cute along with bright blue accents.

I found some great fabric choices at Purlsolo. But really, any quilt shop would have stuff like this. I think I would to the solid color as the base and have the dot as the pockets and accents.

Here's the pink:
and yellow:

and brown:
and green:

I like the polka dots and solids because it goes with the retro theme. Stripes would be neat too.

So, it might be too late, and you may not even like it or go for it, Mandy; but this is what I would do. Hope you have fun at the party! Happy Birthday to Lauren!

P.S. Khinna, you pretty much picked the perfect challenging costume. I've decided to be the Queen of Hearts for Halloween, and I'm mapping out the costume now. Rob is in on the Alice and Wonderland theme too since he's been studying it in school this semester.

Photobucket

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wahoo! I can't wait to see what you design/draw up. You make the cutest Halloween costumes. I'm hoping to get a sewing machine by Fall. Of course, the designs won't be lovely as yours, but I can't wait to see. I love the vintage apron idea as well. I'm so in love with all the apron variations I keep seeing, except I can't manamge to fork over 60 dollars for one. Thanks for the pattern ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest