probably a rambling post

5:57:00 PM

(A picture taken as I write this post. Yes, I did dress up today.)

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about what being a mom does to you in the fashion area. Remember when you were a teenager and your mom would get you a shirt, and you'd say, "Mom, that is so mommy-like/old looking/not cute etc..."? (Mom, you only did this on a very few occasions--I know you have great style.) But I guess that's what I'm talking about... I understand now! For a lot of my my life I have been able to get dressed everyday. I have been able to choose the perfect outfit if I had time. I did my hair and make-up often enough (note: I have never been consistent on this.)

Now, it takes SO LONG to get out of the house. I think it will get better once Jack can dress himself and I can get the drill down. Seriously though, my list before leaving the house only requires that faces are clean, diapers are changed and clothes are on. I only need to be dressed and not looking like I don't get very much sleep. I feel like I'm behind on the times. I'm usually very fashion-conscious and at least know when I'm having a dress-down or dress-up day. My dress-up days now only require make-up and earrings.

I even saw a shirt the other day in the thrift store that looked pretty matronly and said to myself, "That's cute. Maybe I should try it on." Then I remembered I was 24. What is happening to me?!?! I still feel like I think about design in general, but it is all for interior design and kid stuff.

My darling friend Debbie posted about an awesome bun hair-do she wore last week and provided a link to a fashion blog: The Daybook (truth be told, I did not know fashion blogs existed, but why wouldn't they?). Suddenly I realized that I wasn't really paying attention. Sure, I'm noticing awesome vintage clothes because, yes, I only watch movies from the 30's, 40's and 50's, but I'm not sure I have a good grasp on what's in right now. Especially in the hair department. My aunt showed me the new way to curl hair a few weeks ago and I realized I am clueless. I did my hair today, and I am very confident that it would have been the brand-new cool thing when I was a Freshman in college. But I am still not sure if it works for 2010. Am I going to be one of those moms who has a mullet or poofy bangs for 20 years? Is the bob thing over? I hope not because I love bobs. But really, I don't even know anymore.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading about things that aren't supposed to matter. ;)
 
 Photobucket

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Rachel, You have time to do your hair? My hair has been shoulder length, straight for the last three years. I'm lucky if I can curl anything these days. I love The Daybook blog, but I tend to keep tabs on people who dress with vintage apparel. You look gorgeous in your photo, and you have always been a fashionable person to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you are so funny. I also am a hair idiot, and would love to be more creative and know more ways to actually do my do.

    As far as clothes, you have that one nailed.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest