spaghetti sauce

4:05:00 PM


For anyone who knows me, I commonly don't succeed in the kitchen. So when I tell you that I made an incredibly delicious condensed spaghetti sauce this year for freezing, you may not believe me. But I promise, I did. Part of the deliciousness was the fact that I had fresh produce (it makes a big difference doesn't?).

I came up with this after pouring through recipes of canning spaghetti sauce, but after a meager yet exhausting attempt to can salsa, I decided I'd go with making freezer sauce. Here it is:


Condensed Freezer Spaghetti Sauce

12ish large tomatoes
1 large onion
8 oz fresh mushrooms
1 1/2 cup mixed peppers (bell, banana, Hungarian, Anaheim)
1/2 tsp herbs de province (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary)
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp butter (melted)

1. Roast the tomatoes using the broiler in your oven until the skins start to fall off the tomatoes (about 15 min).
2. Chop peppers, mushrooms and onions. Put into food processor along with the spices. Pulse a few times to begin mixing.
3. When tomatoes are done, take out of oven and let cool. Peel the skins off the tomatoes (an core if wanted).
4. Start food processor and drop tomatoes in, one by one. Mix until it reaches your desired texture.
5. Pour into 2 quart size freezer bags. Lay flat in freezer for a few hours. When semi-stiff, divide into 4 portions with a dowel or stick. Each portion will serve 6-8.

6. When your ready to use your freezer sauce, break off a piece and add a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce. For a larger group, you could add two cans of tomatoes. You can add your meat of choice as well. Our favorite mix is a portion of spaghetti sauce, a can of petite diced tomatoes with sweet onions, tomato sauce and hamburger and onions. We add a teensy bit of milk at the end.


Note: this recipe is a little smaller just because I have a 2 quart food processor. You could certainly double or triple to get the more food from your work.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest