10 facts about bees3:38:00 PM
by my little brother Jed (13)
1. With out bees pollination would decrease by about 80% which would cause most plants to go extinct, which would cause most herbivores to die, which would cause most carnivores to die, which would lead to a planetary collapse.
2. A colony of bees is divided into three sections: workers, drones and the queen.
3. When a honey bee stings it's stinger comes out and it dies.
4. Theoretically bees shouldn't be able to fly because of their wing size to body mass ratio.
5. Bees fly to flowers to obtain nectar to make honey.
6. Honey can support life all by itself.
7. When they land on a flower, they unintentionally collect pollen which is dropped onto another flower. That is pollination.
8. Bees collectively are intelligent at making decisions.
9. Honey bee venom is more potent than wasps and all other bees.
10. A bee is an insect meaning it has 6 legs and 3 body parts: the head, thorax and abdomen.
For more animal fact by Jed, go here and here and here.