Gardening Book Recommendations

11:07:00 AM

 

Someday, I would love to have a few acres of land. I'd love to have an orchard, a flower farm, a wildflower patch, bees, a raspberry patch, and a small vegetable garden. Big dream? Yes. I would love to use it as a good way to my teach kids hard work. They could take goods to a farmer's market and earn money for missions and college.  In preparation for this dream, I've been devouring books about all such subjects so that I have a vague idea of what I'm doing. We've moved a lot over the past 10 years, but I still have tried to experiment in the gardening department. Sometimes I've had success, sometimes not.


growing flowers, gardening

This little beauty--Cut Flower Garden by Erin Benzakein-- arrived in the mail a few days ago! It was a very welcome treat. I've been having sooo much fun reading all the wonderful things Erin has to share about flower farming. I'm encouraged to experiment even though we are moving this summer, and hopefully I can get a lot of great flowers next year!

Since we're talking about gardening, I have a few more recommendations:

joy in your garden, book of garden wisdom, cut flower garden


I love the charm and history in the The Old Farmer's Almanac Book of Garden Wisdom. This book was the book that first got me dreaming about gardens, orchards and such. It gives wonderful practical tips AND goes into interesting and awesome detail about Thomas Jefferson's peach orchards.

Joy in Your Garden is written specifically for gardeners in the Utah/Idaho/Wyoming/Colorado area. However, I have used it as a pretty reliable reference while living in Illinois. I LOVE how she describes in detail all the "to-do's" for each season from pruning to planting to planning. It's also quite a fun read.

I'm just itching to get spinach, peas and carrots in the ground! It's very rainy for the next several days, so we'll see how far I get next week. Happy Gardening!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest