Book Recommendations for Bee-Keeping and Growing Flowers

9:46:00 PM


honey, bee-keeping, seed starting, bee pattern


Getting everything finalized and ready to launch the bee pattern! I'm selling kits too! Until then, here are some books we recommend if you are getting ready to start a bee-keeping adventure.



First off, Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees. This book is very factual, yet interesting to read.

Here's one interesting fact: Honey, when sold in the store has been extracted and processed so much that it has lost most of its nutritional value. They put it through so much so that it is clear and uniform on the shelves.
  • I knew about the corn syrup possibility with honey and have always thought I was so knowledgeable in buying honey I thought I trusted, but now I see that if I want good honey, I've got to find a local beekeeper. Apparently all the little particles in honey are good!

Second, Keeping Bees with Ashley English. This book is a delightful read with very practical tips. I read Keeping Chickens last year, and found it to be a bit more basic than I wanted, but Keeping Bees is packed full of useful information.
  • One favorite tip: How to tell your neighbors you'd like to keep bees. She gives suggestions as to good locations, bee lines, making sure your hive is non-aggressive and being very open and giving with neighbors- showing them the set up and giving them honey treats.


One more book-- not directly bee related -- Floret Farm's Cut Flower Garden. I've been following Floret on Instagram for a while now and it's basically the best eye-candy in my feed. Plus, it's my dream to have a flower farm if my allergies can handle it. ;) I've just ordered it and can't wait for it to arrive!

P.S. She has a great seed starting post and video and I can't believe the results! Hope I can keep my plants alive-- between me, the kids and the chickens, we'll see how it turns out.

field guide illustration, sewing, applique, embroidery, save the bees, DIY home decor,

P.P.S. Here's the sneak peek of the bee pattern!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest