Home Living: Rental Series #2 Organizing

9:00:00 AM


E V E R Y T H I N G
I N   I T S   P L A C E .

Storage can feel like a never ending challenge--especially when your storage spaces are changing fairly often.

Over the last few years, a book called "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" has been very popular. It is an inspiring book, though admittedly, I have not implemented it entirely and I've found it hard to keep up with kids!

First off, I'll share one very important quote from the book:

"Keep only those things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard the rest." --Marie Kondo

This is such an important first step--you never want to organize what you can declutter. Makes sense, right?

Marie Kondo shared one more thing that has really helped me: Her tip is to make a "home" for every item. Otherwise, any extras will build up as clutter. If we make an intentional "home" for every item, then we know exactly where to put every item.

So, let's create some "homes" for our stuff!


S T O R A G E

I have found that the following organization tools consistently work for me. I've organized it room by room, but some things are interchangeable.

L I V I N G   R O O M
  • A bookshelf with baskets holds DVDs, books, and toys.
  • Hooks near the front door can be installed for coats, jackets and scarves.
  • Hooks and shelves can be put inside closet for bags/purses/etc.
  • A storage ottoman can hold toys, blankets, DVDS or books.
K I T C H E N
  • Sturdy wire organizers store cookie sheets, frying pans, and lids vertically for more room inside cupboards.
  • Small hooks can hold pots and pans.
  • Wire cabinet shelves can provide areas for more dishes.
  • Book ends hold recipe books upright.
  • I use drawer organizers sparingly, but roomy organizers work well for silverware and cooking utensils.
B A T H
  • A shower supplies organizer will hold your showering supplies. I like the plastic kind because they don't rust, and they force me to be minimal in my soaps, shampoo, razors, etc.
  • Over the door towel rack is essential when many people are sharing a bathroom.
  • Over the cupboard door wire baskets work perfectly for holding curling irons and hairspray.
O F F I C E
( O F F I C E   A R E A )
  • A vertical file rack is essential to keep "need-to-take-care-of items" from piling up.
  • Plastic file bins for essential papers. (If you read "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up," she will tell you to get rid of almost all your papers. I can tell you. THIS idea was life changing for me!)
  • Shoe box bins placed in a bookshelf work well for craft/electronic/hobby supplies.
B E D R O O M
  • Plastic storage bins are great for holding out-of-season clothing.
  • Under the bed storage bins can hold anything from picture frames/decor to gift wrap.
  • Nightstands with drawers are VERY helpful in holding and hiding many things.
*Note--putting beds on risers or finding beds with high mattresses (no box spring, just a wire grid rack for the mattress to lie on) gives you much more storage room.

*Note--right now, dressers seem pretty luxurious to me. We have gone through a few, but our budget has not allowed for good sturdy dressers that don't break when moving.
Also, dressers can be quite large, so it can be hard to fit into new spaces.

In a later course, I will talk about dimensions of the few dressers we have kept that have worked for us.


C L O S E T S

I've found it very important to make as much use from closets as I possibly can. This is prime storage space! Plus, it has a door to cover everything.

If your closets are dark or deep, put a motion-sensing light inside so you can find your stuff.

Great organizing tools for your closets:
  • Shoebox bins can hold anything from extra vacuum supplies, games and medicines.
  • Uniform boxes, bins or baskets work great for high closet storage.
  • Hooks installed INSIDE a closet for jackets, belts, and bags can really keep an area looking cleaner.
  • Extra shelves can installed in underused spaces (like the narrow area that's beyond the closet door).
  • Dressers (yes, we like to keep a smaller scale dresser INSIDE our closet) in closets can keep things contained well. Also the dresser doesn't take up space in the bedroom.
  • Shoe shelves can be used on floor, on dresser or on an upper shelf. We consider these a little bit on the disposable side.


F I N A L  T H O U G H T S

I'll be the first to admit that organizing is not my forte. I have a really hard time using the left side of my brain (haha). I will say that these solutions have proved to be the most consistent and moveable solutions that have stuck. My goal in organizing is to keep things simple and easy to use. I really focus on reducing my stuff so that there is less to organize.

Happy Organizing!

-Rachel

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest