Home Living: Rental Series Introduction

9:00:00 AM


" H O M E  I S  T H E
N I C E S T
W O R D  T H E R E  I S . "

- Laura Ingalls Wilder
Welcome to the Home Living: Rental Series online course! I previously wrote a post on the 5 Must-Have Items for Decorating a Rental. I included an option to receive the course through email form. I will also be posting the course here, just at at much slower pace.

To start off, Let's talk about what home can mean.


H O M E

  • A place to live
  • A place where loved ones are
  • A feeling
  • A place to share
  • A place of peace
  • A place to love
  • A place of refuge
  • A place to reflect
  • A place that inspires
  • A place that is comfortable
  • A space that is yours
A lot goes into having a home!


R E N T I N G  & 

T H E  T E M P O R A R Y
M I N D S E T

Sometimes living in a rental can feel unsettling. Moving a lot is unsettling. I have found that it is so important to not live completely temporarily even when your "home" is only temporary.
 

Story

Amidst all the renting and moving we have done in the past 10 years, we have owned one house. We lived there for about 2 1/2 years and I put a lot of effort into making it feel like a home.

My husband decided to go back to school shortly after we moved into that home. His program required two years of school with an internship in between.

We decided to sell our house BEFORE doing the internship and sadly kissed it goodbye. We put most of our items in storage and tightly packed our van with our essential belongings. That was all we brought with us.

Once we got to our painfully empty apartment in Tennessee, I quickly realized that we needed to make some changes in order for us to feel like our apartment was home and not just a dropping off and sleeping spot.

Luckily we were able to borrow a lot of furniture. We were fine with sleeping on air mattresses and cushions on the floor. We quickly realized that some sort of seating was needed to feel semi-comfortable in the living room, so we bought a cheap futon. We got some lawn chairs for seating. We also got a fun outdoor rug to soften and cheer the space.

We had a great adventure for our 3 month stay in Tennessee, but I longed to feel "at home." I longed to have a comfy space to curl up and watch a movie. It just didn't make sense to invest more time and money in items we couldn't take with us though, so we dealt with it.

Upon completing our adventure, we moved back to Utah for my husband's last year of school. We unpacked the storage unit and set up house.

It shocked me how quickly our new place immediately felt like home. The soft couch, the rug, pictures on the wall, seating for guests. It all came together so quickly and FELT SO NICE!

That is when I realized that although STUFF is not the most important, specific items can really contribute to how "at home" you feel in your place.

 

F I N A L  T H O U G H T S

Just because you live in a temporary place, does not mean you should live temporarily-- bloom where you are planted.

So, make a space for yourself. Think about what makes you and your family comfortable. Invest time, effort and when possible a little money into creating that space! Sometimes it takes a bit of creativity, but it is totally doable.

Everybody needs a comfortable space to decompress, ponder, and rejuvenate. Now go to it!

Happy Homemaking!

-Rachel

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love that you're blogging more & am enjoying this series. Thanks Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Emilie! It's been fun to get going again. Hope you guys are doing well. We sure would love to see you soon!

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest